[rpd] Policy Development Process and Elections

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Aug 20 11:20:08 UTC 2020

Hi Ronald,

In general, companies such as Google, Facebook, etc. cooperate with LEA (examples such as Spanish Guardia Civil, Europol, Interpol) even if the request comes from outside the US. I know this from a couple of cases and in Spain you can read cases in the newspaper every day (for example harassment cases via email or social networks). They even respond to Data Protection Agencies.

If you need to investigate who is the owner of "email xxx at gmail.com" and you're a LEA, you have the right contacts with those companies to query for data in an investigation.

We are not asking for access to "xxx at gmail.com" or all the account data, but just to know what is the email or phone number used to create the account. So, for example "xxx at gmail.com" was created by jp at theipv6company.com.

I understand that in most cases they may not be willing to respond with *other information*, unless a third country court ask an US court to provide it, etc.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

PS: I just recalled the case we were talking about. See:
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2019/009470.html
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2019/009512.html

El 20/8/20 12:47, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

In message <F8E03026-1A1B-4B32-89A2-C73713895155 at consulintel.es>,
JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

>In-line below as [Jordi]

>El 19/8/20 22:37, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:
> I have no problem with people participating. I had gathered however that
> there was an issue currently being discussed with respect to -voting-.
>
>[Jordi] However there should not be difference in participating and voting! We are not voting for membership roles, but community roles.

Oh! Ok. I was under the mistaken impression that what was being discussed
was vogfting rights with respect to voting on POLICY PROPOSALS.

In that case, I do think that "member only" voting should perhaps be the
rule, and that non-resource-holding membetrshisp should be given out
liberally, to anyone who wants to participate, and who can pass some
minimal vetting.

>... Google can be legally queried for "who is this person", nothing else...

Jordi, I mean no offense, but you REALLY do not know how this works.

In the first place, Google is a U.S. company, so legal action would have
to commence in the U.S. That right there means potentially MAJOR costs.

But forget about that. It isn't relevant, because you/AFRINIC would not
even get that far.

Do you think that Google or Twitter or any other major U.S. tech company
just hands over the secret identities of their users at the drop of a
hat, just because they have been sued and/or just because you have requested
the information??

Hint: They don't. In fact quite the opposite. They will fight you all
of the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court in order to NOT be obliged to
give you that inforation.

> More to the point however... and I hope that someone will correct me if
> I have misunderstood... it seems that the real issue is "sock puppets"
> infiltrating the mailing lists AND then asking to vote, or being allowed
> to vote.
>
>[Jordi] That's what we are trying to prevent now...

I say again that there are good and well tested technical ways of achieving
this. The most rudimentary example is a CAPTCHA, but there are many others
that are better for thwarting even a determined attacker.

Try creating a Goole Voice account. This is just one more example of another
methodology to solve the problem. There are many others out there.

Regards,
rfg