[rpd] Abuse reporting addresses in WHOIS records (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Aug 16 17:09:17 UTC 2020

In message <7C1A47CA-840F-4C49-96A1-F5453332E88C at consulintel.es>,
JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

>There is a policy proposal (new version actually), similar as the one in al=

>l the other 4 RIRs:

>https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-gen-001-d6#details

>If you support it, please state it in the list.

Thank you Jordi! I do support it wholeheartedly. In fact, I am greatly
dismayed to see that although this proposal was first submitted on
12 August 2018 it is still languishing in discussion, and has yet to be
adopted. It is said that "Time and tide wait for no man" and I am
confident that the need for this kind of information in WHOIS records
predates even 2018. What can be done to speed up the deliberation
process and advance this proposal towards adoption?

>If you believe that something needs to be amended, please say so ASAP, I

>could submit a new version only up to one week before the next meeting.

I would not and shall not seek to quibble with even a single comma of
this proposal, knowing, as I now do, that you personally have had a
hand in the drafting and development. I am confident that you have
reviewed current practice in the other RiRs and that this proposal is
consistant with what has been done elsewhere. More to the point,
anything would be better that the nothing that seems to exist currently
with respect to the documentation of abuse contacts within the AFRINIC
region. I am therefore eager to see this proposal adopted, ASAP, and
any fine-tuning that may be needed can be worked out later.

Regards,
rfg