[rpd] Abuse reporting addresses in WHOIS records (?)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Aug 16 07:43:47 UTC 2020

Hi Ronald,

There is a policy proposal (new version actually), similar as the one in all the other 4 RIRs:

https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-gen-001-d6#details

If you support it, please state it in the list.

If you believe that something needs to be amended, please say so ASAP, I could submit a new version only up to one week before the next meeting.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 16/8/20 8:01, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

In message <0a06a244-c932-cc21-43ad-1ccb1e1661cd at geier.ne.tz>,
Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

>the first 'Received' header suggests that the email was submitted into
>the email system with authentication. As user 'brett' which was...

While I am duty bound to at least show some appreciation for your
well-intentioned attempts to be helpful, I am also forced to make
to point, both of which were, apparently, not apparent to you prior
to your reply.

1) I have been chasing down email spammers on the Internet for more that
20 years now, and I am not in need of any remedial instruction on how
exactly to do that, or how to carefully read email headers in a way so
as to gleen all possible useful information from them.

2) I am now obliged to reiterate the point I was attempting to make,
since you saw fit to reply without even remotely addressing it.

My concern is not specifically about this one single spam message which
came to me from an AFRINIC-supplied ASN and from an AFRINIC-supplied
IPv4 address block. Rather, I have a concern regarding *all* such
spams, past, present, and future, and more specifically about making
it easy... as other Regional Internet Registries have done... to find,
in the applicable WHOIS records, the email address to which reports
about such spams should be directed.

I ask again: When will AFRINIC grow up and join its elder brethern in
placing abuse contacts into all number resource WHOIS records that it
maintains?

Regards,
rfg