[rpd] Co-Chair Election Process

Paschal Ochang pascosoft at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 02:35:39 UTC 2020

Hello Owen,

Please see my comments below in line

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 17, 2020, at 1:09 PM, Paschal Ochang <pascosoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> > +1 Tony.

> > Categorising various participants and members in rpd and mapping them to

> their respective voting privileges will be a good way to start.

> Can you please explain to me what these “categories would be?”

Various participants exist in the mailing e.g those who have registered on
rpd and have never dropped a single post, those who have registered and may
have commented just once or twice or thrice, those who had posted in a
particular thread of interest that has not been active for about 2 years
etc.

> To the best of my knowledge, there are only two possible categories:

> 1. Eligible to vote in co-chair election.

> 2. Ineligible to vote in co-chair election.

> If there are additional categories in RPD of which I’m unaware, please

> enlighten me as to what those categories are and how one would qualify or

> disqualify for each particular category.

>From my analysis above you can see that your two possible categories has to

factor in the sub categories above I mentioned for consideration.

> > I have attended multiple meetings and have networked with people whom

> have never posted on or commented on RPD but have spoken passionately in

> open mic sessions and I was amazed why they have been incognito in mailing

> lists.

> Exactly. It is not legitimate to disenfranchise voters simply because they

> have chosen not to post on the mailing list, nor should we reward the most

> frequent bloviators simply on the basis of excessive posting.

> > I think where we missed it a little bit may be trying to tie the

> development of a remote or electronic voting system together with a

> proposal. I don't think a proposal must first scale through in order to

> spear head the development of a remote or electronic voting system. This

> should be policy independent IMHO.

> There are those who claim that the PDP-Bis proposal solves all the worlds

> problems, including this one. Personally, I think it is a fundamentally

> flawed proposal which creates more problems than it solves, but this is not

> the thread for debating that. I agree that translating the current election

> procedure to a virtual environment can be accomplished without modifying

> the RPD and without accepting the other changes proposed by PDP-bis.

> IMHO, the so-called “sleeper cell” effect is a red herring. It is easily

> prevented by choosing a date in the past and determining eligibility to

> vote based on having an email address subscribed to RPD as of said date. By

> doing so, it prevents a mass-registration of email addresses in preparation

> (since subscribing after that point won’t qualify you) and it creates a

> simple basis for admitting people into the voter-eligible meeting room. If

> necessary, a second non-voting conference session could be set up to stream

> the same audio/video and facilitate attendance by those not eligible to vote

Yes I agree with your solution for handling the sleeper cell situation.
However, in doing that one may argue that it leads to a mass
disqualification of voters (those coming late to the party with good
intentions).

> Vote could then literally be taken by show of hands (virtually every

> conferencing system supports some variant of the “raised hand” metaphor)

> and it would be almost entirely compliant with the existing PDP. The small

> changes necessary (virtual vs. in-person raised hands) are well within the

> “co-chairs may vary the process as necessary to meet exceptional

> circumstances” clause (paraphrased).

> > While we already have limited time we can have a remote meeting and

> discuss everything in the agenda while delaying the election process a

> little bit and thereby extending the tenure of the current seat holders.

> I really see no need to delay the election of co-chairs, though I have no

> objection to extending the term of the current co-chairs either. They have

> been doing an admirable job IMHO.

> > Hopefully when we adapt to the new normal and can hold a face to face

> meeting we can hold elections by then and I will get to see and enjoy the

> physical company of our beloved Afrinic community as usual.

> I would not be so sure that the new normal will include face to face

> meetings.

Well I guess the new normal won't be only virtual meetings as I think it
translates to living in the era of covid 19 while obeying laid down
regulations for prevention of physical transmission. Therefore I am of the
opinion that an election can be done at the time when lockdown restrictions
are lifted and a physical meeting can take place.

--
Kind regards,

Paschal.