[rpd] Co-Chair Election Process

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 21 00:42:34 UTC 2020

> On Jul 20, 2020, at 10:01 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Hi Owen,

> While I agree with your proposal and agree that if needed, we can use the 3.6 of the PDP (I suggested that a few days ago already), my only concern is that, as some people indicated, in Africa there are more difficulties to connect to Internet. I understand that in this situation it may be even difficult to arrange for universities to host virtual remote rooms.

If they are unable to connect to the internet, that’s unfortunate, but I think so long as we allow an elongated (say 1 hour or more) period for them to connect and raise their hands, surely if they would have been able to attend the conference in person under normal circumstances, they can arrange in advance to have some way to connect to the internet, join the conference, and virtually raise their hand (even from a mobile phone, I will add). I’m sorry, but I doubt that anyone capable of sending any of the emails we have seen on this list is somehow going to be incapable of that small feat with sufficient advanced notice.

> So, some people which was in the list when the original PPM was scheduled, and willing to vote, may have connectivity problems or difficulties to access Internet on that specific time.

Again, while this may be true, I think it would be a very tiny fraction of the total.

> That’s why I suggested providing a time frame of one week. This is what we do in LACNIC. You have one full week to vote (may be ending at some point during the virtual meeting).

The problem with a one-week time frame is that you can’t hold a virtual meeting open that long to use the authentication features of the virtual meeting software and so you now have a problem dealing with a host of election fraud questions that are simply not possible if we use the instantaneous virtually raised hands during a 1-hour period during the virtual meeting.

> Also, the vote verification (and I guess Fernando is talking about that), even if not done during the PPM, will be good if we do that 1-week voting. We do that as well in LACNIC.

I’m not opposed to this if staff can pull together an adequately authenticated system in the available time frame, but I have my doubts.

> You cast your vote and get an email with your code. Nobody else knows your code, but when the voting is closed the list of all the casted votes and the codes is published. Nobody know who you voted for, but you can verify that your vote is there. This way you avoid any manipulation of the electronic voting.

> I’m not sure if my explanation in English is good enough … in Spanish will be much shorter and easier.

I think I understood it in any case.