[rpd] Policy Impact (was Re: Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship)

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Tue Jun 23 18:24:22 UTC 2020

> On 3 Jun 2020, at 17:58, Patrick Okui <pokui at psg.com> wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2020, at 15:58 EAT, ALAIN AINA via RPD wrote:

>> While we wait for new proposals which will probably come from the current discussions, shouldn’t we revive and fix what went wrong with these proposals?

> +1

> Thanks for directing the discussion towards the policies we have on the table.

Hello,

Let me start with my recollection of the facts around the 2 proposals I mentioned earlier from Afrinic-31 meeting minutes: https://afrinic.net/ast/afrinic31-ppm-minutes-en.pdf

1- "Abuse contact”

[......]
An overview of reactions from delegates and Remote Participants:

Some delegates supported the policy

Some delegates did not support the policy

A question was asked as to whether AFRINIC staff evaluated the workload for the proposal ?
As per Madhvi, this will be done and communicated at a later stage. If a lot of emails are sent, then it is a lot of work.

Co-Chairs Decision: Back to Mailing list for further discussion

2- "AS0 ROA "

[.....]
An overview of reactions from delegates and Remote Participants:

The proposal has no issues as written however there are technical realities that must be taken into
consideration, we should not forget that up to now, some of the Bogon, where you get on the Bogon
sometimes it is difficult to be removed. Or you may have some delays, when the certificate expire or
the ROA revoked, the bogon list caches across the globe may take time to update as they are all
not in sync in real time

This could have been a global policy instead of going region by region. The Authors should probably
coordinate with the authors of the similar policy in the APNIC region and people at NRO. Global
policies requires action from PTI/IANA.

What is the validity period or window to determine that the prefix is useful to the one it was assigned
to before AFRINIC takes it back to the free space?

We are not talking about withdrawing the IP space but rather withdraw the ROA.

Comparing it with some of the existing policies on the ground, like the review policy, are you looking
at this to be a substitute? Because you can easily use this to audit, right? Are you using this policy
as an alternative to the one that is currently under proposal? Because if it is passed, you can use
it for auditing.

The policy should be fine-tuned towards AFRINIC and avoid cut and paste.

A similar policy is accepted and adopted in APNIC and in a few weeks it will be adopted by RIPE
and so on, and authors have trust that the AFRINIC staff can build it.

A clarification made that in RPKI, ROA’s are not withdrawn, you have to revoke ROA’s. This
process needs to be well thought of.

The policy proposal covers only space allocated and assigned by AFRINIC, it does not cover legacy
space.

Co-Chairs Decision: Rough Consensus

After an extended last call period , Cochairs concluded: https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2020/010391.html
[.......]

“We have also critically examined the response(s) from the authors and we still believe that this proposal requires more discussion on a number of the issue raised hence we are not yet recommending it for ratification. *

We also understand that the community has a diverse voice on this proposal. However, Co-chairs want to emphasise the fact that we are human beings. If anyone finds some error in our decisions you are welcome to appeal it in line with the CPM.
—-

Reflections and way forward

What were the objections raised by the delegates who did not support the “abuse contact” proposal?

What are the open issues?

There has been silence and no discussions since Luanda., while further discussions are expected.

As for “AS0 ROA” proposal, the arbitration of the appeal committee, also desired by the co-chairs in their final decision did not occur.

While some do think a new appeal can still be filed, no open issues list has been presented and no discussions on this proposal as well since the last call.

If we do nothing, I dread a ‘bis repetita’ at the next PPM.

HTH,

—Alain