[rpd] IPv6 and some cloud providers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun May 31 17:39:38 UTC 2020

> On May 31, 2020, at 10:32 , Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/05/2020 14:21, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> <clio>

>> Forcing the use of IPv6 is not what is required, however. Making IPv6 available and explaining the benefits of dual-stack is useful.

>> Making IPv6 available and explaining that IPv4 will be via NAT and the disadvantages that entails is useful.

> This sounds as beautiful words, but we have been explaining this for the last 20 years and what ? Unfortunately people need push, otherwise the attitude of a some will keep damaging all others.

There is a big difference between encouragement and force. Encouragement takes longer, but is more likely to be met with cooperation.
Force is quicker, but more likely to be met with resistance.

Example:

If you have the time, convincing your 4-year old to let you put on her shoes results in a less cranky 4-year old and a more pleasant day for the rest of the day.
If you don’t have the time and you have to put the shoes on despite the objections of the 4-year old, you’re in for a day of multiple dealings with an angry
child who will take every opportunity to make your life miserable.

Am I comparing those who insist on staying with IPv4-only to 4-year olds? Well, you be the judge. If you can find a difference, please point it out.

> Several situations where this was mandated proved to have good results and increase on IPv6 ratio without any down points.

Really? Where?