[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 19 07:07:20 UTC 2020

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 21:47 , Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:

>> On 14 Feb 2020, at 21:13, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

>> I can’t speak for the foundation, but my best guess is they chose not to engage to avoid dignifying the accusations.

> --

>> On 17 Feb 2020, at 21:03, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

>> It is not the goal or intent of Larus foundation to undermine anything. We are, exactly as Daniel said, providing opportunities for more Africans to participate in the AfriNIC process.

> Owen,

> I might have missed a mail somewhere. Do you also work for Larus foundation?

> The Larus terms and conditions for its fellowship are clearly suspect and indefensible especially after recent experiences. If you work for them and are towing the company line, I’d understand that you are singing to the tune of your paymaster. If not, it seems that you may have become part of the problem in worse ways than one can imagine.

I do a small amount of consulting for Larus Foundation. The consulting I do there is primarily aimed at keeping the fellowship program open, transparent, and community oriented. Amusingly, my efforts are aimed at ensuring that it does not become what it is accused of being.

You are free to ask any of my previous employers about my tendency to “tow the company line and sing the tune of my paymaster”. I think you will find that I have a long history of doing quite the opposite.

I sing my own tune. I make my own statements. I suppose it is possible that I am somehow deceived about what is happening here, but I think that is unlikely.

If you feel that the terms and conditions are suspect or indefensible, please be explicit and show me which terms and/or conditions you find suspect and indefensible. Perhaps we can work to improve them.