[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 14 21:13:19 UTC 2020

I can’t speak for the foundation, but my best guess is they chose not to engage to avoid dignifying the accusations.

They really aren’t questions so much as accusations, after all. I will, however, provide what knowledge I have…

> The following questions come to mind:

> 1- From the educational material given to fellows which is purely based on Larus views on each proposals, positions to defend, what are the objectives set for each policy meeting and how are the objectives aligned with the general community interest?

Actually the educational materials were produced based on the contents of RPD and did not express Larus (or any other views) other than the authors of the quoted comments. The remaining portion of your run-on sentence isn’t really something I can parse into an intelligible question to answer.

If you’re attempting to ask what are Larus objectives set for each policy meeting, the objectives are quite simple:

1. Promote regional participation in AfriNIC and the PDP.
2. Enable students and others who may not otherwise be able to participate to do so.
3. Promote and encourage active engagement within the community and expansion of the community.

Do you need further explanation of how those objectives are aligned with the general community interest?

> 2- Would Larus assume under these terms and conditions that opinions expressed by fellows during policy meetings are Larus opinions and do not represent fellow individual opinions?

Fellows are encouraged to express their own opinions. Larus does not instruct or screen fellows on the basis of whether or not their views are aligned with Larus.

> 3- how is fellow performance measured as it is at Larus sole discretion? What are the metrics and values used to determine the performance level?

While there is a subjective component to the process, it is not based on alignment with Larus views. It is strictly based on presence, participation, and active engagement in the meeting.

These incentives are there to avoid providing a fellowship to someone who then chooses to spend the entire trip shopping or on the beach rather than attending the meeting.

> 4-how is the reward (0 to 500$) applied based on the fellow performance?

See answer to number 3… The incentive component of the stipend is strictly to incentivize active participation. It has nothing to do with what views the fellow expresses. To achieve the maximum amount, the fellow must be present for all sessions, participating in the sessions where appropriate, and any comments made or active participation must be collegial, on-topic, and relevant.

I hope this helps you understand the fellowship program.