[rpd] Afrinic Scandals, future and the PDP

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Feb 5 07:40:34 UTC 2020

On 5 Feb 2020, at 2:37, Marcus K. G. Adomey wrote:

> Dear All,

> Relating to points I tried to make here and did not see much traction,

> here is more about the AFRINIC INRs theft saga.

> https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/routing-wg/2020-January/003987.html

> I wonder why this is not discussed here and we as community not

> taking our part of the ToDo?

because there is very little discussion to be had, tbh.
afrinic is reviewing these, and has already announced that it has
reclaimed several blocks. so, unless
# you have investigative skills that you can use to assist afrinic; or
# you have credible data that you can provide to afrinic to prove
allocation/assignment claims; or
# have enable on a network that’s routing these once exposed to be
illegitimate;
.. pontificating on public lists isn’t a useful exercise.

tl;dr - proper investigations take time ..

otoh, since this is RPD, and to move this to something relevant to this
list, if afrinic could issue AS0 ROAs for the illegitimate
assigned/allocated blocks, once they have been reclaimed, then once
problem that the author reports could easily be resolved.

“.. much of this "reclaimed" space is still being routed as
I write this. The only difference is that now the space is being
routed as bogons, rather than as "legitimately" allocated space.”

-n.