[rpd] End of LAST call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Feb 2 20:43:53 UTC 2020

I've no problem with that, is up to the RIR how to do it, as said, fully operational decision.

However, I think if there are several allocations/assignments in a single day, it makes sense to do the revocation a single time for each day, instead of doing it several times per day. I used in my example 24 hours for simplicity of the example, instead of saying "every day at 9AM if the previous days have been any resources issued".

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 2/2/20 21:18, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> escribió:

> On Feb 2, 2020, at 12:08 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> I don't think so, as I was using just an example of 24-hours for the operational decision of the RIR about if they revoque the ROA every day or every 2, or every week or whatever.
>
> If the average caching is 24 hours (I don't have data about that, again is just an example), then the RIR can still make it 24 hours + 24 hours caching, and so on.

There’s no reason for the RIR not to revoke ROAs immediately as space is issued. There’s no valid reason for an RIR delay. It should just be part of the allocation/assignment software process, entirely automatic and no need to batch updates to ROAs.

> Regarding the time to announce a new allocation, I said "average", as an indication for the RIR to decide about the required timing for the "normal" operation. Anyway, I don't this is good for anyone to exepect that the RIR will provide a new prefix in a matter of hours/days, it may depend in the justification, the workload of the staff those days, etc.

The problem is that average doesn’t account for all cases, it’s just a meaningless number approximately in the middle of the extremes. (Regardless of whether you are intending mean or median as your definition of average here).

Some organizations request space and then don’t advertise it for weeks. Others request space wishing they could advertise it as soon as they requested it. In general, the ones in the latter category are the ones to be most concerned about in this case as any solution that comes as close as possible to meeting their needs will surely meet the needs of all others.