[rpd] End of LAST call

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Feb 2 06:56:27 UTC 2020

Hi,

I trust that AfriNIC staff will only inform members of their new
delegations _after_ the changes to ROAs for non-delegated space were done.

[optionally AfriNIC could add to their email about resource delegation a
statement "because of previous issuance of a ROA of same prefix with
AS0, global routability might be delayed by 24h"; but this does not need
to be specified in policy]

After member is informed of the delegation, they will create ROAs, route
objects [possibly reverse DNS]; will start originating that prefix
globally via BGP...
and can only 24 hours later [SAD!!!] put production traffic on that prefix.

I think that's acceptable.
If you disagree, it's a small operational update internal to AfriNIC to
just wait 24 hours from the update of the ROAs until the member gets
informed of the delegation.

Regards,
Frank

On 02/02/2020 00:39, Daniel Yakmut wrote:

> To response to your questions,

> at least I will like to see about 24 hours, which will be minimally

> impactful, but the current infrastructure does not allow this small

> amount of time.

> The impact I possibly see is the delay in allocation.

> Simply,

> Danile

> On 31/01/2020 7:34 am, Frank Habicht wrote:

>> Hi,

>> On 31/01/2020 08:51, Daniel Yakmut via RPD wrote:

>>> I don't agree with your submission that; "All of the “objections” I saw

>>> seemed to indicate a clear lack of understanding of RPKI in general and

>>> the proposal in specific."

>>> I particularly raised a concern "The current state of RPKI

>>> infrastructure, does not provide a sufficient period between revocation

>>> of ROA and notification that a given prefix has been allocated to an

>>> organization, which can impact considerably on allocations.

>> I would like to get more specific information:

>> 1. According to you, Daniel: how much time does the "current state of

>> RPKI" provide between revocation of ROA and notification that a given

>> prefix has been allocated to an organization?

>> 2. How much time would you consider "sufficient"?

>> 3. which impact on allocations to you see?

>> Thanks,

>> Frank

>> (co-author)

>>> Except we

>>> can be able to provide a sufficient period or create a different

>>> procedure, the proposal for the RPKI-ROAs does not fly"

>>> and I did not receive any response from the author(s), I suspect this is

>>> a concern that is critical and important to possible adoption and

>>> implementation this proposal

>>> However, I will agree that the author(s) may have been overwhelm with

>>> the number of "objections" raised and could not keep track of it and

>>> response, hence I will suggest that the co-chairs could help by

>>> summarising the objections for the action of the author(s).

>>> Simply.

>>> Dan