[rpd] AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT01: "RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Jan 4 11:15:00 UTC 2020

Hi Daniel, all,

Responding to several of the emails on this topic (several of the responses provided by others already addressed most of the questions).

So:
Yes, it is perfectly reasonable that resources holders register ROAs with AS0 for more specifics, regardless of the status of what AFRINIC is doing as a result of this policy implementation. Nothing changed on this regard by this policy.

As a result of this proposal implementation, when resources that are in the AFRINIC ROAs for AS0, become allocated/assigned to a member, there are two possible cases:

If the member is using RPKI. The more specific ROAs take precedence over the AFRINIC AS0. This clearly helps to promote the usage of RPKI and allows more members to drop invalids.

If the member that get resources allocated/assigned and is not using RPKI. In this case, if the member is announcing those resources “immediately”, AFRINIC should know that, so there is a revocation of the AS0 ROAs that include the “just allocated/assigned” resources. This is already considered by the proposal “If AFRINIC wants to allocate address space to one of its members, the RPKI ROA or ROAs with origin AS0 will have to be revoked beforehand”.

As you can see, the policy allows AFRINIC to handle this the best possible way as a staff operational decision “The process for ROA validity periods and release of ROAs before assignment/allocation by AFRINIC is left for AFRINIC staff to define in internal procedures”.

The impact may be that AFRINIC need to ask in the resource request form “if you’re not using RPKI AND *REALLY* intend to use the resources in the next 48 hours (to consider caches?) immediately after allocation, please mark this check-box”.

This will then start an automated revocation procedure for the relevant ROAs. 48 hours from the allocation/assignment of the resources is not a big deal, and I don’t believe this actually a real issue. Why? Because (AFRINIC can provide stats on that), most of the time, resources allocated/assigned take several weeks, if not months, to appear in the routing tables, so the “regular” revocation/reissuing timing may be sufficient. Anyway, this is up to staff to decide.

I also suggest to read the RFC6483 (Validation of Route Origination Using RPKI and ROAs), and more specifically Section 4 (Disavowal of Routing Origination).

The proposal is basically following that RFC, not changing it at all, neither contradicting it, and provides some text, which may be not necessary in the proposal itself (if you have read RFC6483), but it helps a lot to understand the rest of the text (specially if you haven’t read RFC6483).

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet