[rpd] Decisions on policy proposals discussed during themeeting

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Mon Dec 23 23:22:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

> How are you, brother ?

I'm good, thank you! How are you?

>>> For better or worse, however, the current PDP does not give co-chairs power over accepting or rejecting updates.

>> I think they do. They are tasked with making sure the PDP is followed,

> ...yes, but to which purpose ?

So that policy development is done according to the set rules.

>> and the PDP says a new version must address the raised issues.

> ...problem : “MUST” seems to be the missing word on CPM 3.4.1 :-/

It says "The author(s) shall make the necessary changes to the draft policy according to the feedback received."
It doesn't say "The author(s) may make…" or "The author(s) can make…". In this context "shall" means "must". RFC 2119 also defines it as such as its very first definition:

1. MUST
This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

>> If the author violates the PDP by not doing that the chairs have to deny the update.

> ...by doing what ?

> Don't forget that the PDP [1] is roughly clear about what the Chairs can do :-)

The text "Two community elected co-Chairs guide discussions, gauge consensus and ensure that transparency is upheld. They also ensure that the PDP is followed as per the agreed process." comes directly from the Afrinic website (https://afrinic.net/ast/pdf/annual-reports/afrinic-annual-report-2016.pdf for example).

> If i'm reading [1] well, the Chairs have the power to declare (CPM

> 3.4.2) consensus (rough), and that's a sufficient power because of the

> word rough !

> ...and yes ! to Varying the Process (CPM 3.6); which appears to be not

> too easy to implement, finally :-/

> Or am i missing something ? :-/

> ...please elaborate.

The basic meaning of "being a chair" of a group that has defined rules with which it operates. The person presiding over the group (= the chair) has the responsibility and authority to enforce the defined rules. In addition to the basic role of chairing the working group the chairs have additional tasks/responsibilities that are defined in the rules (= the PDP), but that doesn't diminish their fundamental task of presiding over the working group.

Cheers,
Sander