[rpd] New version of AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT03 "IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope)"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Nov 26 18:58:33 UTC 2019

Hi Fernando,

Responding below, in-line.

El 26/11/19 19:39, "Fernando Frediani" <fhfrediani at gmail.com> escribió:

Hello Jordi

The text seems fine despite the change of wording on some parts, at the end they means about the same thing. I have 2 points to note:

- on 5.7.6 it says "information permitted by the source or recipient". Although there is minimum mandatory information that must be published, I understand the wording allow the RIR to publish extra information or notes about the transaction ? How likely is that to happen and what examples of information would be that ? Could you clarify a bit further.

I don’t expect this to be a “general” case (to have more info), but with that text in the policy, we allow the staff to publish that info. I think it doesn’t harm and provides the maximum transparency, as requested since v1 was published.

- On 5.7.7.2 there is a possibility, should the staff finds a transaction suspicious, to escalate it for the Board for a final decision. I normally think this type of individual thing should not end up in the Board, but internally inside the staff in a well defined appeal process because they are staff decisions (e.g: appeal to the Manager, Director, CEO, etc). The Board should only be involved in something that affects several members or a number of organizations (for example to preemptively suspend a policy that may be damaging the RIR or the Community, etc). The same way the Board can always issue statements for staff on certain topics and procedures but always in a more generic way.

This was also requested by the community in the discussion over v1. It is a “security belt” to ensure that nobody is doing something “strange”. I think the wording allows the staff to further investigate, ask for more documents, etc., and only escalate to the board in very abnormal cases. I guess most of the time the additional documents or clarifications requested by the staff will either allow the transfer or deny it (if documents don’t match, fraudulent documents are discovered, etc., etc.).

Best regards
Fernando Frediani