[rpd] Proposal Update Received | IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope) | AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT02

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:34:58 UTC 2019

On 12/11/2019 22:04, Owen DeLong wrote:

> <clip>

> I do not feel that 5.7.5 is needed. First, by the time this policy can

> be implemented, it’s extraordinarily unlikely that we will not already

> be in Phase 2. Second, even if that is not the case, at this point,

> there is no reason to prohibit organizations that wish to obtain

> resources via the transfer market from doing so.

I think this is the most important part of the new version, actually
without that I would never be able to support it and that was what many
others also manifested in the previous discussion.
It is a simple, fair and clear rule: "when Phase 2 starts", then there
is no risk at all of it starting earlier than it should.
I do not believe there will be many if any cases that will require such
big transfers as I do not believe any possible organization is able to
justify more than a /13 *at once*. In a very remote hypothesis this is
possible they can just receive the /13, work with it in the meantime and
wait until Phase 2 kicks in (pretty soon) to be able to transfer
whatever else. This is very reasonable, and makes it more simple with a
single rule for all.

Furthermore I don't think if changing that way it would be reciprocal to
other RIRs because it would not be valid for outgoing from AfriNic.
Therefore not worth concern about this.
The current text is fine in my view.

>>> https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-ipv4-002-d2#proposal