[rpd] new version of policy proposal AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT02

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 7 17:52:22 UTC 2019

Jordi,

Comments on specific sections:

5.7
First, this policy should apply to all organizations with justified needs. There’s no reason
to exclude organizations who could get resources from AfriNIC from using the transfer
policy if they so choose. Further, the application should be to both recipient organizations
(as stated) and source organizations (excluded by present language).

Recommended alternate language:

This policy applies to organizations with a justified need for IPv4 resources
(recipients) and organizations with IPv4 resources that are no longer needed by
the organization (sources).

5.7.2

Policy should set source criteria only if the source is within the AfriNIC region. Source
criteria for sources outside of AfriNIC should be set by the source RIR. Further, a
source organization should not be permanently barred from acquiring additional
resources, so I have added a suggestion to allow them to acquire resources via
transfer 24 months after acting as a source.

Recommended alternate language:

5.7.2 — as is

5.7.2.1 A source must be validated by the applicable source RIR according to their
policies and procedures. A source within the AfriNIC region must be in good
standing (all invoices paid) and must be the rightful registrant of the resources
to be transferred and there must be no dispute as to the status of said resources.

5.7.2.2 Source entities will not be eligible to receive any further IPv4 address allocations
or assignments from AfriNIC. Source entities may, if they can show justified
need receive resources via transfer after a period of not less than 24 months
has elapsed from their last outbound transfer.

5.7.2.3 An organization which has received resources in the AfriNIC registry within the
preceding twelve months will not be approved as a transfer source.

5.7.3.1 is a bit vaguely worded. Suggest:

5.7.3.1 Recipient organizations within the AfriNIC service region must be approved
by AfriNIC staff using the same policies and procedures as if the request
were being satisfied from the AfriNIC free pool.

5.7.3.2 is also a bit convoluted. Suggest:

5.7.3.2 Recipients in other RIRs must be approved by the staff in that RIR according
to that RIR’s policies and procedures.

5.7.3.3 is unnecessary and incorrect in some cases. Many organizations that receive
resources in the ARIN region are not members, for example. Any intended effect
in 5.7.3.3 is a subset of the requirements already expressed in 5.7.3.2 and I presume
that the unintended effects do not need to be preserved. Suggest striking 5.7.3.3
completely.

5.7.4 — I think there is a better way to express the actual intent here… Suggest:

5.7.4 Transfer of ASN with resources

In the case where the majority of an operating network, including the
addresses and the physical infrastructure are being transferred, any
applicable ASN(s) may also be transferred at the same time in order
to preserve operational integrity and expedience.

5.7.5 — This doesn’t belong in the policy text and should be provided instead as
guidance to the board and staff for scheduled implementation of the policy.

Leaving this in the policy text results in a policy manual which contains an
ever growing set of anachronisms.

5.7.6 Who determines what information is or is not confidential? Policy should
specify exactly what is required to be disclosed and if it wishes to make
additional disclosures optional, it should state what those are and that
they should be published if disclosed. The list in the existing proposal
is a good start on the minimum mandatory information. If we want that
as the extent of the policy, suggested rewording:

5.7.6 Required Disclosures for Transfers
Parties shall be required to disclose and AfriNIC shall publish
in a specific location, a history of all completed transfers including
at least the following information about each transfer:

+ Date of the Transfer
+ Identification/description of the Resources Transferred (e.g. 192.168.48.0/20, AS3223959)
+ Source RIR
+ Source ORG-ID
+ Recipient RIR
+ Recipient ORG-ID