[rpd] AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT01: "RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Nov 5 08:05:55 UTC 2019

For those in digest, here is the link to the document:

https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/attachments/20191105/1a1118b8/attachment-0001.pdf

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 5/11/19 9:03, "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD" <rpd at afrinic.net> escribió:

Hi all,

I'm attaching here this policy proposal, so we can start discussing it, even is not yet in the AFRINIC web site.

I want to explain some details about it.

This is a coordinated effort among different authors from all the regions, which started in APCNIC, where already reached consensus. It has also been submitted to RIPE, and it will be soon submitted to the other RIRs.

Some people commented that it should be a global policy, and I basically agree with that. However, to make a global policy means that the text must be "word by word" the same in all the regions and reach consensus in all them, so this may take much more time. Also, to make it much better, we may need an IETF RFC, with specific instructions to IANA, which again may take much longer time.

An alternative way, and this is the one we decided to go, is to propose the same text in every region, and if we succeed in all the regions, then we can make a further step into a global policy, but meanwhile, the policy will be in place in one or more regions, and already be a benefit for all the community.

So, a plea to all: If you agree with the policy intent, let's try to avoid making small changes that aren't really necessary, *if you still can consent in the current text*. This way it will facilitate reaching a common (global) text, and not requiring several years of work!

Thanks a lot to all in advance!

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet