[rpd] Resources transfer policy Proposal

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Wed Sep 4 15:00:57 UTC 2019

On 9/3/19 8:21 PM, Fernando Frediani wrote:

> On 03/09/2019 19:29, ALAIN AINA via RPD wrote:

>> <clip>

>> - Using  the /12  "reserved for future use”  solely for new comers

>> and justified IPv6 transition

>> Attempt to do so failed as archives on SL-bis and other related

>> proposals can show.

>> Recent SL-update policy approved at last PPM, put the /12 to the free

>> pool to be used in phase2 and revoke the provision of board making

>> decision on it.

> This can be perfectly done and there are already policies in place in

> other RIR like LACNIC and ARIN in different way and in my view is a

> great success the way it is applied. I just however don't think it's

> something for now in AfricNic and there is no need to rush for it as

> the region is not even in the Phase 2 yet and something like that is

> only after Phase 2.

In my view, Phase 2 is only five months away, and I'd rather be prepared
than surprised. Current policy says that last /12 goes into the regular
pool, and we'll see how long it lasts.

> Newcomers are the most important to be privilege in my view in the

> future for a question of fairness so make sure they are treated the

> same way all others were in the past and give them a chance to exist

> in the Internet without any artificial difficulties.

I mostly agree with you, but I think this can be handled as well by
reserving addresses for IPv6 transition mechanisms.  A newcomer who is
building an IPv4 network is saying they only want to grow for one year.

Lee