[rpd] New Policy Proposal Received - "IPv4 Inter-RIR Legacy Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope) AFPUB-2019-v4-002-DRAFT01"

Ernest Byaruhanga ernest at afrinic.net
Mon Sep 2 08:52:15 UTC 2019

Sylvain,

>>> wrote:

>> Staff assessment reports for the two transfer policy proposals are available at:

>> IPv4 Inter-RIR Legacy Resource Transfers

>> https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-v4-001-d1#staff-assessment

>> IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope)

>> https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-v4-002-d1#staff-assessment

> Dear Ernest,

> After reading your, too much awaited, Impact Analysis report (IAr) i have some questions :

> • I don't understand why you added the word “currently” in 1.0 a). It seems to render the

> statement false. {i'm not an English native language though. So excuse my ignorance, where

> applicable}

That's because the only transfers provided for in CPM 5.7 at this moment are those within the region (Intra-RIR).

> • The RSA (Registration Service Agrement) section 6. (d) (iv), (v), (vi), (vii) states that “[...]the transfer

> of number resources is strictly prohibited, from except in the event of the Applicant becoming the

> subject of merger and/or acquisition proceedings or where such transfer is effected in compliance

> with adopted policies;[...]” ; some of what you wish to prevent, in 2.1 b., seems to be allowed by

> the RSA...then how to deal with that ?

“..in compliance with adopted policies” is what matters most in your comment above.
We only pointed out the issue (2.1b) in our assessment as a possible avenue for abuse. The community may decide to consider or not to consider this depending on whether they find it a concern or not.

> • In 2.1 a. you seem to suggest that the author also treat the case of ASN transfers, is it not better

> to encourage any other volunteer to propose such a draft policy proposal ? Don't forget that,

> these draft policy proposals are just amending the CPM section 5.7. Then, if you add other

> resources than IPv4, it might sound problematic... :-/

True, but the CPM can be rearranged as appropriate if need be.

> • I'm not getting the point in 2.2 a. What i mean is that, CPM section 3.4.5 states that after the end

> of *the last call* on a draft policy proposal has been declared, the Staff has *less than six months*

> to implement it. Then it automatically starts to serve. Please can you explain why there should be

> a *special need to specify some conditions on the beginning of this draft policy proposal, if ratified ?

It had been suggested by some individuals that if Inter-RIR transfers are to be allowed, this should be in exhaustion phase 2. We thought the author could indicate if he has any particular preference as to when Inter-RIR transfers start during the exhaustion phase. Absent of this, it's assumed they take effect immediately after policy ratification of course.

Ernest.