[rpd] Is there a policy for the WHOIS database?

Ish Sookun ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu
Fri Jul 12 16:51:01 UTC 2019

(Was: [Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Borad Elections)

Hello,

On 7/12/19 11:29 AM, John Walu wrote:

> Anyway, the best thing for the Board to do is to carry out a GDPR Impact

> Assessment and share the report with the community about the risks or

> otherwise of GDPR in their processes/systems.

The Data Protection Act of Mauritius was introduced in 2014. Did the
AfriNIC Board carry out an impact assessment at that time?

I believe it is for the community to decide what should be published in
the WHOIS database rather than leaving that for the Board to decide.

The person and role objects[1] contain fields that hold personal data of
individuals. They should therefore be treated as per the requirements of
the Data Protection Act 2017.

Regards,

Ish Sookun

[1] https://afrinic.net/support/whois-db/objects-and-attributes