[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jul 2 01:14:40 UTC 2019

In message <320D6CAE-8CC9-4012-9732-865A68FDBF4B at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>There's really nothing special about legacy resources beyond the
>ability to get some services from RIRs without paying.

Are you sure about that Owen?

About 11 years ago, a couple of ARIN /16s decided to go walkabout, and
my belief is that at that time, ARIN had a dickens of a time getting
them back, in no small part because of their "legacy" status, which
arguably put them into a sort of legal limbo land, beyond ARIN's
ability to do much about them.

    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/04/a_case_of_network_identity_the_1.html

If such a situation were to arise today, say with respect to some Afrinic
legacy block, my assumption is that all of the same problematic issues
would arise yet again.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Regards,
rfg