[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 1 12:17:36 UTC 2019

Hi Alan,

The point is "What % of the resources/services can be inside the region vs outside". Can/should/must we really define that?

This is something that we find also not very well defined (or not defined at all), in other RIRs.

For example, in LACNIC the Policy Manual (section 1.11) says " The numbering resources under the stewardship of LACNIC must be distributed among organizations legally constituted within its service region [COVERAGE] and mainly serving networks and services operating in this region. External clients connected directly to main infrastructure located in the region are allowed."

We have discussed several times, if "mainly" (which I think is not well translated, because the original policy text in Spanish reads more like "most part of it"). So that means more than 50% in the region? Or 80% ? or 30% will be just fine? Can we have a strict rule on this or is something impossible to agree because each business/network may be a different animal and we should support it?

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 1/7/19 14:09, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> escribió:

    > On 30 Jun 2019, at 22:39, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
    >
    > In message <539D1303-4A80-4ACB-A70A-9CBD8E4C3B73 at consulintel.es>, Jordi wrote:
    >
    >> As said, this is something that the legal counsel should clarify.
    >
    > I can only say that I hope that -someone- will provide a definitive
    > answer.
    >
    > I should perhaps clarify that my interest in knowing the
    > current operative meaning of Section 6.1 of the Afrinic Bylaws
    > is a consequence of my belief that more than one party that is
    > located outside of the Afrinic region and that is providing -no-
    > services whatsoever within the Afrinic region are already enjoying
    > the benefits arising from the exclusive use of Afrinic-assigned
    > IPv4 number resources.

    In order to be an AFRINIC member and receive address space from AFRINIC, it is necessary to comply with AFRINIC’s Bylaws article 6.1: "any Person who is geographically based within, and providing services in the African region, and who is engaged in the use of, or business of providing, open system protocol network services”.  A party that is not based in the AFRINIC service region, or that does not provide services within the AFRINIC service region, is not eligible.

    If you know of parties that do not meet these conditions, but which have received resources from AFRINIC, then please report them to hostmaster at afrinic.net.

    Regards,
    Alan Barrett
    CEO, AFRINIC