[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 1 08:18:40 UTC 2019

El 1/7/19 1:11, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

    In message <D993D5D3-6B81-4AA5-AA3E-08E9B7F3D350 at consulintel.es>,
    JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

    >... most of the RIRs, policies allow to use "some" of the
    >resources outside the region, but of course, to be a member
    >of that specific RIR, you need to have "some" of the services
    >in the region.

    I don't know why you say "of course".

This is my interpretation of bylaws:
6.1 Membership shall be open to:

(i) any Person who is geographically based within, and providing services in the African region, and who is engaged in the use of, or business of providing, open system protocol network services; or

Also in the RSA section 4.
(c) Applicant’s use of the service
The Applicant hereby irrevocably:
(i) Commits itself to using the services solely for the purpose for which it was requested.

    If some Resource Member of Afrinic is using 100% of its Afrinic-
    assigned resources outside of the region...

        *)  How will this become known to Afrinic?

There are ways to check where resources are located.

        *)  What, if anything, will Afrinic do about it?

My understanding is that I make a request to Afrinic for an IPv4 block, I will demonstrate that I'm located in Africa, and as part of the request I need to specify what services I'm going to provide and where. I think staff will not provide the IPv4 block if you say that the services are provided in California. If you are providing false information, you break section 4 of the RSA.

    Regards,
    rfg