[rpd] should authors of policy proposals be oblige to contribute in the list?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sun Jun 23 13:04:17 UTC 2019

Again you are correct. The PDP meeting should really only be used for
formal presentations and to perhaps clarify anything - although even
that could be done in the mailing list. The meeting can also perhaps be
used to provide a summary of discussions on the mailing list. The
decision really should not have to happen in the meeting - it should
almost be a foregone conclusion whether a particular policy is going to
go to "final call" or not.

I wonder if we as a community will ever have the possibility of a policy
going from inception to passing without it ever having to wait for (or
going to) a meeting. That should be possible.

On 2019/06/23 13:30, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm opening a new thread, and is not an easy one and could be very
> contentious, but I think is urgently needed.
>
> I mention it briefly in my previous email, but it was a long one, so I
> want to make sure that we concentrate in this part.
>
> Our PDP is meant for contributing in the mailing list for discussions
> and in the meeting. However, formally, the decision is taken in the
> meeting.
>
> Everybody that comes to the meetings is **able** to participate in the
> mailing list as well, so unless something "new" is discovered about a
> policy proposal, should we consider for the consensus that comments
> against a policy proposal that were not raised previously in the list,
> should not "take over" the gauge of the level of consensus support?
> **There are no excuses** to be in the meeting and raise something if
> you have already been in the mailing list and not raised it before.
>
> Sometimes, an issue raised in the list, may be too contentious to be
> resolved there, and that’s why we need meetings, and not just the
> “formal” policy day, but also chats in the breaks, etc. This the way
> we resolve issues in the IETF, where the definition of rough consensus
> was developed, and this is the one we use in the RIRs. RFC7282 and for
> short, read kind of summary of it below (1) my signature.
>
> Second part of this, and actually a **much stronger point**:
>
> Some folks, which are in the list, which are **actual** authors of
> other policy proposals, didn’t brought their inputs in the list, they
> have actually brought them in the meeting, just for the **insane sake
> of overthrow this proposal** and exclusively for their own interest.
>
> My view is that those authors, as I’m not supporting their own policy
> proposals, believe that I’m against them “personally”, it seems to me
> they don’t understand that the PDP is not about “your interest” but
> the “community interest”.
>
> If those authors of other policy proposals are really looking for the
> **well of the community**, they **MUST** participate in the list **not
> only** to defend their own policy proposals, but also to improve the
> ones from other authors (as I do).
>
> If they provid those inputs in the list in advance to the meeting,
> then we could have made a new version in time for resolving their
> issues and reaching consensus.
>
> If someone supports a policy proposal, **ideally, they should
> explicitly say it in the list**, so the co-chairs have a broader view
> of the real community support.
>
> If someone doesn’t support a policy proposal, **MUST say it in the
> list** so it can be discussed and amended if necessary way ahead of
> the meeting, so we can reach consensus, because the meeting time is
> precious, and proposals are submitted to improve our system and this
> means if we believe something is needed is much better reach consensus
> in 1 year than in 2. Obvious right?

> [...]

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za        Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496
For fast, reliable, low cost Internet in ZA:https://ftth.posix.co.za