[rpd] A New Dawn

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Fri Jun 21 20:44:32 UTC 2019

Hi Abdulkarim,

> In this spirit, I would be proposing to Moses that we do not revisit the issue of an anonymous person sending emails (on rpd list) to course disunity within the community. I would propose to him and the community that if the email stops, then the issue should be forgotten among other issues that have divided this community.

I feel this is a good way forward. This community has people from very different backgrounds who have very different ideas on what is the best solution, and it will require everybody to try and understand other people's viewpoints without immediately condemning them because they are different. Only by trying to understand each other can this community move forward for the future of Africa.

And in a consensus-based community it doesn't matter if someone prefers to stay anonymous. I have met people who would like to participate in this community but are afraid of repercussions from their boss/government/etc. Those people should still be welcome to make a contribution. For with consensus it doesn't matter who says something or how often something is repeated. What matters is that there are clear arguments that can be investigated and addressed (which does not necessarily mean accommodated). When all do so in good faith the community can achieve great things.

And for those who use anonymity to cause disunity I feel only pity, for they are cowards that hide their identity to do harm to this community. Let's not waste any energy on those, but spend all energy in creating (or keeping) the best policies for Africa.

Cheers,
Sander