[rpd] Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC (Draft 8) - possible approach

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Jun 16 18:01:25 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I've read again this policy proposal.

I still believe that the RSA already has sufficient detail for AFRINIC to implement an specific operational procedure.

However, I'm happy to work with the authors during this week, taking advantage of the on-site meeting, in order to understand what are their specific concerns about what is missing in the RSA, and draft a version that I can support, and hopefully other folks from the community as well.

I think the text may be much simpler and still have the same effect that the authors are probably looking for.

For example, a possible alternative text could be:

****
13.0 Resource Review
Reviews of resource utilization shall be periodically conducted by AFRINIC to ensure RSA and policy compliance.
AFRINIC may initiate such review, either under request of the member, or in cases where AFRINIC is aware or has received and verified information of irregularities and possible non-compliance.
As much as possible, the verification of the efficient use of resources will be done by automated tools (example, visibility of those prefixes that according to policies, should be routed).
****

Note that I believe 13.1 and 13.2 (from the actual proposal) are superfluous. I will be happy to keep them, but aren't really needed. For this reason, I've included a much simpler text for 13.3 in the same 13.0.

Now, I agree that is good to have a "Resource Recovery" policy. In fact, this is something that exists in other RIRs. But I will make it separated from the "Review policy", because this way it will have a much higher "coverage" than just applied to review cases.

This is my proposal for a "Resource Recovery" policy:

****
Resource Recovery
Seeking to achieve an efficient and appropriate utilization of the resources, AFRINIC shall attempt to recover resources in order to re-assign/re-allocate them to other organizations.

If there is evidence suggesting that the allocated/assigned resources are not being utilized, incorrectly utilized, not following the RSA or there is a lack of compliance with policies, AFRINIC will verify with the resource holder whether the resource is being properly utilized.

The following are some of the evidences that AFRINIC may use to initiate the resource recovery process:
a) Reiterative non-compliance with AFRINIC policies, RSA, bylaws, other legally binding documents or lack of payment.
b) Lack of visibility of the resources on the global routing table, when required by policies.
c) Organization that has disappeared or is not responding to AFRINIC requests.
d) Unauthorized transfers.

The resource recovery process begins once AFRINIC can verify any of the above-mentioned evidences.

During one month, AFRINIC must attempt, by all possible means, to contact the organization and rectify the situation. If the situation can't be rectified, or there is not response, AFRINIC must publish the resources to be recovered for a period of three months. During this period the organization still may work with AFRINIC to rectify the situation.

Two months after the resources are published, AFRINIC will proceed to delete the NS records pointing to the authoritative nameservers of the resources involved. This information may be recovered if the organization contacts AFRINIC and demonstrates that the issues have been resolved.

If three months after the resources are published, the organization has not yet resolved the issues, the resources will be recovered and the records of the holders of these resources will be removed from the database.

AFRINIC will publish the resources that have been recovered so that routing filters may be modified.

Resource Return
AFRINIC members are free to return (entirely or partially), at any time, Internet resources they have been assigned.

AFRINIC will publish the resources that have been returned so that the routing filters can be modified.

Re-use of Recovered or Returned Resources
IPv4 resources recovered or returned will be added to the end of the existing pool, so they are re-used in the order they are recovered.

In case of IPv6 and ASN, they will be added to their respective pools only after two years of being recovered or returned.

****

As said, I will be happy to work with the authors to make both policy proposals (the "review" one and the "resource recovery" one), investing some editing time during the week.

I'm convinced that if we work together, we will succeed to have both policy proposals reaching consensus in a single round.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

IPv4 is over