[rpd] New Policy Proposal Received - "IPv4 Inter-RIR Legacy Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope) AFPUB-2019-v4-002-DRAFT01"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 21 15:23:31 UTC 2019

By the way, to facilitate differentiating among both policy proposals, I just created an online diff:

https://www.diffchecker.com/zX8erpnD

Regards,
Jordi

El 21/5/19 15:00, "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD" <rpd at afrinic.net> escribió:

    Hi all,

    First of all, let me state that while sending those two proposals, I'm also *withdrawing* my previous proposal "Inter-RIR Resource Transfers v2" (AFPUB-2018-GEN-003-DRAFT02).

    Now, an explanation for that. Sorry the length of the email, but I think it deserves a clear explanation.

    I still personally believe that the right way to go is allowing intra and inter-RIR transfers for all the resources (IPv4, IPv6 and ASN), however, it seems that not everybody in the community is happy to accept that (at this moment).

    As I'm looking for the benefit of the community, it means that we need to ensure that, as soon as IPv4 is not widely available in AFRINIC (few months from now), there is a way for ISPs and end-user organizations that need IPv4 addresses (even for the IPv6 deployment), to be able to access to them.

    Intra-RIR as per CPM 5.7 is NOT sufficient, because organizations within the region will not have sufficient resources (typically) to provide them to other organizations, as there is not a wide IPv6 deployment that allows them to release those IPv4 resources.

    AFRINIC is right now the ONLY RIR that doesn't have an Inter-RIR policy for IPv4. LACNIC didn't have one, however in the last meeting, beginning of this month, it reached consensus.

    I'm presenting two proposals. What is the difference between them?

    1) Proposal https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-v4-001-d1#proposal (IPv4 Inter-RIR Legacy Resource Transfers) is only allowing transfers of IPv4-legacy resources from AFRINIC to other regions, but allowing any kind of IPv4 transfers from other regions to AFRINIC (if the other region policies allow that).

    2) Proposal https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-v4-002-d1#proposal (IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope)), allows transferring any IPv4 resources (legacy and non-legacy).

    Why I'm presenting two "competitive" proposals? Because I believe is easy for the community to understand the differences and then choose among them, if they believe is the time to move.

    Which one I will recommend? Definitively "IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers (Comprehensive Scope)", which means legacy and non-legacy.

    Historically, IPv4 transfers have been perceived as a "risk" for a RIR (such as AFRINIC or LACNIC), because resources can "escape" from the region. This will mean that supporting only "legacy outgoing" transfers can facilitate the consensus of the community.

    However, some data need to be considered, that I will present more exhaustively in the meeting:

    The *real* data about what is happening since inter-RIR transfers are allowed in 3 regions (APNIC, ARIN and RIPE), is that ARIN provided *millions* of addresses to the other regions, while the other regions only provided about a few thousands.

    Look at slide 9/10 at the latest NRO report:
    https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/NRO-Statistics-2018-Q4.pdf

    So, do you still believe that there is any risk for AFRINIC to "lose" addresses?

    Questions?

    Regads,
    Jordi