[rpd] New Policy Proposal Received - "Multihoming not required for ASN (AFPUB-2019-ASN-DRAFT01)"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 8 00:11:58 UTC 2019

I think 12 months is far too long.

There is no need to apply for an ASN more than 6 months prior to deployment. The process should be quite simple and quite quick.

While I haven’t applied to AfriNIC for an ASN, I have applied in other RIRs and in all cases, I’ve been able to get the ASN within 24-48 hours of application.

Unforseen delays in being able to deploy one’s first peering session are understandable and even commonplace, but 6 months should be more than sufficient time allowance for such delays.