[rpd] Proposal: Clarification on temporary resource usage

ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng
Sat Dec 22 13:11:30 UTC 2018

1.0 Summary of the problem being addressed by this proposal

With IPv4 exhaustion coming, IPv4 resource assignments need better
management because of scarcity. For instance, what happens if some entities
request a /20 worth of IPv4 for temporary usage during soft landing phase
2? With current IPv6 evolution, we think entities requesting temporary
resources should deploy more IPv6 prefixes than IPv4 prefixes.
I agree with this statement,  It would not entirely solve the problem,
However, It may just help in some ways, hence I think this is a good
proposal with little modifications.
2.0 Summary of how this proposal addresses the problem

This proposal aims to restrict the size of IPv4 resource requests for
temporary use such as conferences and meetings and in addition, encourages
IPv6 usage for those purposes. We believe that IPv6 is now mature enough to
be deployed for this kind of usage.
Agreed

Any IPv4 space requested for temporary usage should not be more than /22 -
especially for meetings and events. The requesting entity should use
IPv6-only on their networks and deploy IPv4 at the edge of the network
using an IPv6 transition mechanism.
Lastly, we believe the title of this section of the CPM should reflect
exactly the fact that we are dealing with assignments only and not
allocations too.
/22 is a lot and might not help with the desired result hence, I would
rather suggest maybe /24. However, Jordi has made a good point as to why
IPv6-only cannot be enforced.

3.0 Proposal

CPM 9.0 to be modified as follows:

9.0 Temporary Resource Assignments

9.1 Documenting the temporary activity

The activity requiring temporary IP resources should be publicly documented
and available on a website reachable at least during the entire period of
the event. Entities requiring such IP resources are expected to demonstrate
an understanding that when the activity or experiment for which they
require the IP resources ends, the IP resources will be returned to
AFRINIC. A "publicly accessible document" is a document that is publicly
and openly available free of charge and free of any constraints of
disclosure. AFRINIC will not recognize any activity under this policy if
such an activity cannot be publicly disclosed.

9.2 Assignments of IP resources
Resources are assigned on a lease basis for a period of one month. The
assignment can be renewed on application to AFRINIC providing the necessary
information. The size of the assigned IP resource will be determined from
the plan submitted by the requesting entity. In the particular case of
IPv4, the size cannot exceed a /22.
One month is reasonable enough as there are conferences spanning up to 3
weeks. e.g ITU PP is 3 weeks.

9.2.1 Required Documentation:
The requesting organisation should contact AFRINIC with the following
information:
a.  Details of Organisation: Legal Organisation name, Country Where
Registered, Postal Address, Physical Address, Telephone and Fax Numbers,
website (this is a must).
b.  Details of activity requiring the temporary assignment: Website
detailing the activity or Website with a link to similar previous
activities, Links from other (relevant) sites about this activity, and the
date when the above activity ends.
Why the need for other similar or previous activity? . This might be
counter-innovative.
c.   The planned use of these IP resources: List subnet size required, and
for what it will be used plus any AS numbers and reverse delegation, if
required.
d.  The intended date of return of the IP resources above.

9.3 Technical recommendations
a.  The requesting entity is encouraged to deploy IPv6-only networks and
push IPv4 at the edge according to an IPv6 transition mechanism (such as
NAT64+DNS64 or 464XLAT)
b.  The requesting entity could base its architecture from some RFCs such
as:
c.  [rfc3750] (INFORMATIONAL) Unmanaged Networks for IPv6 Transition
Scenarios
d.  [rfc4213] (Standards Track) Basic Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts
and Routers
e.  [rfc6180] (INFORMATIONAL) Guidelines for Using IPv6 Transition
Mechanisms during IPv6 Deployment

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 8:29 AM Ernest Byaruhanga <ernest at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> c.   The planned use of these IP resources: List subnet size required, and
> for what it will be used plus any AS numbers and reverse delegation, if
> required.
> d.  The intended date of return of the IP resources above.
>
> 9.3 Technical recommendations
> a.  The requesting entity is encouraged to deploy IPv6-only networks and
> push IPv4 at the edge according to an IPv6 transition mechanism (such as
> NAT64+DNS64 or 464XLAT)
> b.  The requesting entity could base its architecture from some RFCs such
> as:
> c.  [rfc3750] (INFORMATIONAL) Unmanaged Networks for IPv6 Transition
> Scenarios
> d.  [rfc4213] (Standards Track) Basic Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts
> and Routers
> e.  [rfc6180] (INFORMATIONAL) Guidelines for Using IPv6 Transition

*Dr. Abdulkarim A.Oloyede*. *B. Eng (BUK), M.Sc (York), PhD (York), R.Eng,
A+*
*Senior Lecturer, **Department of Telecommunications Science, University of
Ilorin, Nigeria*
*Vice Chairman, Telecommunications  Development Advisory Group (TDAG),
**International
Telecommunication Union (ITU).*
*Alternative Emails: olouss at yahoo.com <olouss at yahoo.com>  OR
 aao500 at york.ac.uk <aao500 at york.ac.uk>*