[rpd] Opposing the last call made on the review policy

Timothy Ola Akinfenwa akin.akinfenwa at uniosun.edu.ng
Tue Dec 4 16:13:54 UTC 2018

Hi Owen,
Comments inline,

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:31 AM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 14:54 , Gregoire Ehoumi via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There is no provision in the curent PDP which mandates, updates/revisions
> to a proposal  before it got presented at a PPM. The agenda was published
> and as expected, no one objected...here we see another incentive for
> PDP-BIS  which defines a clear lifecycle of proposal?
>
> Nobody is questioning this. Nobody (that I have seen so far) is objecting
> to the proposal being discussed at the meeting.
>
> What is being objected to is the proposal being declared as having
> consensus and sent to last call when none of the outstanding objections
> from Dakar were addressed, no updates were made to the proposal, and a
> plethora of objections were raised at Hammamet, including some which were
> repeated from Dakar.
>
> I find it curious that a policy  proposal which aims to improve resource
> usage, provide better accountability within an RIR ecosystem  raises so
> much controversy.
>
> Perhaps this is because many of us do not believe that the policy will
> have a result that is at all consistent with the stated intent above
> (which, btw, does not entirely match the problem statement in the proposal
> itself).
>
> Members sign RSA which bind them to such review,  but when it comes to
> defining a community consensus approach to the review, it becomes stormy
>
> The review in the RSA does not allow for any random party to force AfriNIC
> to initiate such a costly and burdensome process against any particular
> member without probable cause to do so. The proposed policy does.

Please can you clarify how the review exercise proposed by this policy will
be *costly *and *burdensome*? Have you had a similar experience in your
region or in what capacity was that statement made? Is there anything the
Staff must have missed while assessing the implementation of this policy,
perhaps you can throw more light?