[rpd] Opposing the last call made on the review policy (Data Loss)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Dec 3 16:18:01 UTC 2018

On 12/3/18 4:28 PM, Timothy Ola Akinfenwa wrote:
> +1 Nishal, this clarification was indeed necessary and helped a great
> deal.

Agreed.

> One of the objections that slightly align to my thoughts were seen
> asked or raised by someone recently. It can be found
> here, https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2018/008642.html
>
> The issue of data corruption and lack of documentation is a recent
> development that was made to fore just few days ago, at least I never
> knew that existed and I'm are still waiting for clarification, but
> this time from AFRINIC not the authors.

My understanding is that the Data corruption happened in or around 2010.
I became a Board Member from around AfriNIC-10 (Cairo) in 2009 and was a
Board Member for 6 years until June 2015 - after AfriNIC-15 in
Tunis/Tunisia. I never heard about the data loss until last week (end of
November, 2018).

> [...]
>
>     now, that’s not quite the same as saying they did not consider
>     changes;  just that _no action_ was made on those considerations
>     ;-)
>     but more on that below.
>

>     > This means the policy remained as is without any input or review
>     for
>     > over
>     > six months.
>
>     we have confirmation that this is correct.
>

>     > Making it stale and should have been dicarded.
>
>     this is incorrect.  policies can be unchanged for up to a year.
>     sometimes, it takes a while to gather information, for
>     presentation/action.
>

>     > Can I then conclude that the PDP Co-Chairs erred to have allowed
>     the
>     > policy
>     > come.up.for discussion in Tunisia.
>
>     no.  the co-chairs did not err in allowing discussion;  there is no
>     break from the rules of the PDP.
>

>     i believe that, in the absence of changes to accommodate any outcomes
>     from dakar, this should not have gone to last call.
>     there’s a very human understanding that:
>     # if something is broken, and
>     # if nothing changes to fix it, then
>     # the original thing can still considered broken
>     and i think that there are many people on the list that might simply
>     have viewed the current version of the policy in this manner.
>

>     but, this all predicates that there _were_ actual outcomes in dakar.
>     the policy did not get passed in dakar, but were there
>     recommendations,
>     or salient discussions on the mailing list, for the authors to
>     address,
>     that were not actioned?  because, if there _are_ material problems
>     that
>     were recorded and acknowledged (at least by the community) and not
>     addressed, then sure, there’s no case for last call.  but if there
>     were no material objections in dakar, and the policy was sent back
>     just
>     for more discussion, then who knows, perhaps the last call for this
>     version is warranted.
>
>     here’s a different example - there was an update proposed to the
>     SL-policy, and the co-chairs sent this back to the mailing list
>     for more
>     discussion.  there were no material objections (and, even though i
>     posted a question about this, that’s _not_ an objection), and if this
>     comes up for discussion again at the next meeting, it would be
>     incorrect
>     to say that simply because it’s unchanged, it can’t be considered
>     for last call.  (please don’t detract in anything other than it being
>     “unchanged”)
>
>     so, to those that are saying that there’s still a problem, can you
>     please rather cite an example of an existing action/update/request
>     that
>     remains unanswered, instead of simply saying:  “i don’t agree”.
>     because that’s something the co-chairs can work with.

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496