[rpd] Inter-RIR Resource

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Dec 2 14:50:57 UTC 2018

I would oppose any such clause – because there is absolutely zero indication that a clause like this has any effect anywhere in the world.

Fact is – it is not the job of an RIR to tell people how to run their networks – it is the RIR’s job to evaluate if someone has a need for v4 addresses and supply them if they do.  You cannot force people to transition to IPv6 – and if a network chooses not to do so for whatever reason – that is their choice, and in the end they will be penalized for it.

For years people looked for the proverbial silver bullet that will move people towards IPv6 – and never found it – that is because IPv6 is yet another part of the Internet – it is not something that can be commercialized – it is not something to be sold – it is there because such like BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, IPv4, whatever else – we need it – it forms an underlying part of the infrastructure.

The only real driver towards IPv6 will be the depletion of and/or scarcity and expense associated with IPv4 – it will not be through coercive policies that are outside of the mandate of an RIR

Andrew