[rpd] TRANSITIONING quickly to IPv6

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Jun 6 08:50:33 UTC 2018

One thing I strongly suggest: Do not use migration for IPv6, it confuses people.

Migration is when you move (as an example) from Windows XP to Windows Vista. You install a new operating system but the previous one is gone. You don't run them simultaneously.

The IETF has defined transition and coexistence mechanisms, NOT migration.

So, comparing with my previous OS example, migrating to IPv6 means removing ALL IPv4 (end-to-end) and installing only IPv6.

In general, we don't do that, we deploy IPv6, but we keep (at least in most of the "client" devices today), IPv4. Either we use dual-stack or any transition mechanism. So, there is a coexistence between both, IPv4 and IPv6.

In the future, yes, maybe we, at some point, start removing IPv4. But this is not a wise recommendation for end-users/end-networks.

This is very evident when you train people. They get confused, and also because in many languages, both words are not exactly equivalent (as in English seems to be, which actually is not ...).

Regards,
Jordi