[rpd] Migrating quickly to IPv6

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:21:51 UTC 2018

Hi,

Le 06/06/2018 à 01:31, S Moonesamy a écrit :
> Hi Owen,
> At 02:15 PM 05-06-2018, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> OK, there's a difference in perspective about IPv6 being a replacement
>> for IPv4 depending on the timeframe of your focus.
>
> There was a presentation at RIPE in which it was stated that the pace of
> adoption of IPv6 in the Internet appears to have slowed down over the
> past 9 months.  Was that taken into consideration for the timeframe?

Maybe it can be useful to readers to know which presentation you are
talking about [1] .

I have appreciated Geoff's study but  from my point of view the way
people in africa may use/manage IPv6 in 2 or 5 years is yet unknown
because you don't have enough data (kudos to projects like WIDER) .

Generally you don't have unfortunately enough data coming from our
continent; thus it's difficult to forecast exactly what can be the trend
especially here.

I believe in Africa, a major player here is governements on contrary of
other regions. You may like it or not in many countries, you can't
organise a meeting without their agreement, you can't use freely the
internet without their agreement,etc... (I'm not a fan of that issue by
the way)
If some african countries find in IPv6 a real need to go forward, the
curve of adoption may jump drastically.

In addition, the second most important actor (again from my point of
view) is the universities. I really really hope those here working
within this area will understand me. We [2] are doing our best here but
it's a combination of people/organisation.

Of course I may be wrong but it's just a point of view :)

By the way, it's #v6launch today :) . Announce your v6 prefixes; it will
not hurt you ;)

1. https://ripe76.ripe.net/presentations/9-2018-05-17-ipv6-reasons.pdf

2. AUF - DRACGL https://nda.manbene.net/index.php/s/kWfs21HEHWzIP3t

--