[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 1 23:23:07 UTC 2018

> On Apr 28, 2018, at 04:55, ALAIN AINA <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:
>
> hello,
>

>> On 28 Apr 2018, at 01:48, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are a number of problems with this:
>>
>> 1.    History shows that forcing people to accept IPv6 addresses in order to obtain
>>    more IPv4 addresses doesn’t actually help deploy IPv6, it just makes a mess of
>>    the registry and registry related statistics.
>>

>> 2.    Please explain how one goes about determining equivalence between an IPv4 allocation/assignment
>>    and an IPv6 allocation or assignment. Is a v6 /64 more like a v4 /32 or a v4 /24? Answer: it depends.
>>    Is a /48 more like a /24 or something larger? Answer: it depends.
>>
>>    IPv4 and IPv6 are so very different in terms of address size and allocation boundaries that there
>>    simply isn’t a good way to define equivalence. That’s a good thing, but it means that what you are
>>    proposing simply doesn’t work very well (if at all).
>>
>> Besides, can’t we just kill this proposal? How many times does the community need to reject it before the authors will recognize that it is not wanted?
>
> Oy yes “community”
>
> The proposal  got  consensus and was  recommended for ratification by BoD.

Not really...

> There has been an appeal against co-chair decision. The Appeal committee decision to nullify the cochairs decision was baseless and has been challenged.

Yes, the appeals committee upheld the challenge to the declaration of consensus because of numerous expressions of opposition and lack of consensus during the last call. That’s hardly baseless. The fact that you wish you could ignore the opposition does not make the opposition baseless.

I’m unaware of a valid mechanism for challenging the decision of the appeals committee, so please explain how that process works and where it obtains its authority.

> lets discuss this in Dakar.

I’m sure we will. I’m also certain that there will be sustained opposition to this proposal in the room there this time.

Owen