[rpd] LACNIC proposal to create a global internet registry

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:37:32 UTC 2018

Hi Ernest,
Following discussion around use of Internet resources out-of-region, I can
see how this proposal might be embraced by some.

I am impartial on the matter, however, I want to highlight some of the
challenges that this proposal will face.

1. Remit of the PDP
The establishment of Internet Registries is not exactly within the remit of
the Policy Development Process -- Global or otherwise. Infact, ICP-2:
Criteria for Establishment of New Regional Internet Registries states
that *"According
to the ASO MoU it is the responsibility of ICANN to approve the
establishment of new RIRs*. It is my view that while we can discuss the
matter and provide guidance, it is beyond the remit of the RIR Policy
Develop Process.

2. Criteria for Evaluation
ICP-2: Criteria for Establishment of New Regional Internet Registries which
stipulates the criteria for establishment of registries is currently
incompatible with this policy proposal. Once example of this is *"Each
region should be served by a single RIR, established under one management
and in one location" *There are several other points in this document that
would make it difficult to for the proposed entiry to pass such an
evaluation.

Conclusion
For such a policy to pass, at the very least,  ICP-2 would first have to be
modified to align it with this proposal and then after that ICANN would be
in a position to

On 15 March 2018 at 08:44, Ernest Byaruhanga <ernest at afrinic.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> In other news:
>
> The LACNIC community is discussing a global policy proposal to create a
> Global Internet Registry (GIR).
> https://politicas.lacnic.net/politicas/detail/id/LAC-2018-1;jsessionid=
> 419E05AAC9F2F52E5D27DDCCF4D6B727?language=en
>
> It may be proposed here too, as it appears it will be a global policy.
>
> Just FYI
>
> Ernest

Douglas Onyango, PRINCE 2, ITILv3
UG: +256 776 716 138