[rpd] PDP-BIS Follow-up

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Wed Mar 14 20:28:51 UTC 2018

Thank you for bringing this to the list. I am new to this conversation,
but I did read the proposed policy and the meeting notes you included below.

I am confused about section 3.4 Consensus.

The proposed text says, "Most of the decisions in the working group
operations and discussions on policy proposals are made through rough
consensus, unless specified otherwise."

I could not find a case that was specifie otherwise. Would there ever be
a case?

I think from 3.4.1 Minor Objections that those are objections where the
person objecting agrees that the advantages of the proposal outweigh
their objections.
I think from 3.4.2 Major objections that they are defined as those where
the person objecting cannot accept the proposal.

But then I'm confused because it said, "Consensus is reached on a
proposal if the PDWG is able to successfully work through all objections
in this way. It is not necessary for everyone to agree with the proposal."

If I were PDWG chair, in order to understand consensus, I would have to
ask each person who spoke at the  microphone at a meeting, or on the
mailing list, whether they support the proposal, have a minor objection,
or a major objection. If they described it as a major objection, it
would have to be listed as such somewhere (an issues list in Git?), and
the PDWG or authors would have to explicitly address that point and come
to consensus on whether it could be accommodated or not, and then the
PDWG would have to reach consensus on whether the accommodation was
acceptable.

But at the end of 3.4.3 Reaching consensus, it says "Consensus is
achieved when everyone consents to the decision of the group." That
still sounds like one person objecting can block a proposal, which is
the opposite of "It is not necessary for everyone to agree."

Can someone explain this to me a little more?

Thank you,

Lee