[rpd] end of my term as co-chair

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 2 11:41:24 UTC 2018

Modulo one particularly bad call, I’d agree.

I understand that the job isn’t a particularly easy one. It’s a job I’ve done, albeit in an environment
where it’s not nearly as difficult. (This is one area where I will grant those that claim that Africa
poses unique challenges.)

I am, despite all that has happened in recent history, sorry to see Sami resign.

Nonetheless, I hope that future co-chairs can learn from this event and realize that in a case where
you find it difficult to gauge rough consensus, perhaps the better part of valor is to declare that what
consensus may exist is too rough to be called rough consensus.

In any case, Sami, this was never personal and I have tremendous gratitude for your service and
respect for the tough job that you did for the community. I wish you the best in your future
endeavors.

Owen