[rpd] [pdwg-appeal] SoftLanding BIS notice of intent to appeal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 23 21:34:31 UTC 2018

How can you possibly make this claim?

I have nothing whatsoever to personally gain in terms of resources from blocking the proposal.
I have nothing whatsoever that any organization I work with (at least nothing that I know of) will gain from blocking this proposal.

I am opposed to this proposal simply because I think it is damagingly harmful policy and will not benefit the deployment of the internet in the African region.

Yes, end users are served by ISPs. ISPs that can’t get addresses to serve end users can’t serve end users and the end users they can’t serve go unserved.

While I am sensitive to the idea of not letting one ISP consume the entire remaining free pool in one country, I’m not in favor of protecting those completely late to the party (anyone who didn’t notice that we were running out of IPv4 for the last 20 years) from those who have a current need. I’m all for restricting allocation/assignment sizes as necessary to achieve fair distribution among those who have expressed their current need. But keeping addresses on the shelf to further subsidize those who still haven’t begun to develop infrastructure while preventing those that have infrastructure from serving real customers is absurd at this point in the process as far as I am concerned.

Let’s be clear… We’re not talking about new entrants with the 24 month time limit in this policy. We’re talking about “possible future entrants that don’t yet exist and may or may not ever exist.” That’s why I call them fictitious. I’d call them vaporware, but it didn’t go so well the last time I used that term in reference to an Africa-related policy, so I’m trying to learn from past mistakes. ;-)

I do applaud you, Jackson, for finally actually speaking to the issues in your last post (for the first time in this discussion). However, your opinions expressed are no more “the facts” than my opinions are. We can agree to disagree as men of good conscience often can. I don’t feel that there is a need to protect customers that have no ISP from customers that have an ISP. Really, what argument can be made that it is somehow fair to prevent more consumers in country A from getting access just so that we can still connect consumers in country B who don’t yet have an ISP? This is what is proposed by SL-BIS and IMHO, it’s bad policy. You may disagree with that. You may wish to argue that Nigerian consumers are less important than Congolese or Rwandan or Somalian consumers. I argue that all consumers are of roughly equal value and there is no more fair distribution mechanism amongst various consumers than first come first served. I can see an argument for limiting the amount of space the guy at the front of the line can get so as not to allow the first guy in line to take all to the detriment of those who joined the line at approximately the same time. What I can’t see is telling the guy at the front of the line that he can’t get back in line in case there’s someone else who might want to join the line in front of him for the next 24 months. That’s where SL-BIS really goes of the rails as far as I’m concerned.

Owen