[rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 11 18:02:51 UTC 2018

> On Jan 11, 2018, at 01:43 , Kangamutima zabika Christophe <funga.roho at yandex.com> wrote:
>
> Bravo Jackson,
>
> J'apprécie beaucoup ton intervention. Tout cet arsenal déployé pour la contestation de cette proposition est dans l'intérêt des grands groupes capitalistes et mercantilistes qui cherchent à prendre ces ressources en otage. Nous n'abdiquerons jamais!!!! Qu'advienne que pourra.
>

> 11.01.2018, 05:58, "Jackson Muthili" <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Still nobody has actually addressed the substance of our arguments against
>> > the proposal. Do you have any answer to the issue of unfairness raised
>> > repeatedly with regard to the way in which a 24 month waiting period does
>> > not protect those in line, but those not yet in line at the expense of
>> > providers which need more than a /18 for continued growth? Do you have any
>> > response to the merits of my demonstration that it doesn’t even have to be a
>> > particularly large provider or a large deployment in order to require more
>> > than a /18 every 2 years?
>>
>> Those not yet in line are the largest chunk in Africa not in America - the community you operate and live in. If you want the tiny few in line to gobble up everything, I must remind you again that AfriNIC resource distribution environment is not a capitalist approach where its an open shop for who has the money to come buy, deplete and go make a killing at the detriment of the upcoming and majority existing others that will happily be protected in that 24 month window. The tiny few will have complaints. The mostly others on the continent will be protected. This situation now is no longer a free market but a period of responsible custody of a scarce public resource. (The resource is not for a wealthy few but : for the public).

Again, this is a gross distortion of the facts. The “tiny few” you are describing are the providers that have deployed and are continuing to deploy internet to the largest numbers of the unserved population of Africa. Those not yet in line are not the individual end users as you claim above. They are businesses that don’t yet exist to serve those end users. They are not in line, but other businesses that really exist and really are trying to serve those customers are in line. You are blocking current efforts to serve those people in favor of some possible future effort which does not yet exist and may never exist. The most this can achieve is to further delay serving those customers you claim to be trying to protect.

>> You may think different but this does not make the current situation of scarcity against a largely unconnected community go away. Think fair distribution not capitalism and open/free market.

I am thinking of scarcity and more importantly of how to get as many of those that are not yet connected as possible connected as quickly as possible. My opinion has nothing to do with capitalism or profit. It has to do with achievement and distribution.

You are complaining about a food shortage and insisting that the solution isn’t to load the trucks full of food, but rather to keep as much food on the shelves in the warehouse as possible while people are hungry, loading only 1 ton of food into each truck, whether it can take 1 ton or 18 tons of food to market. It makes no sense to me. The 18 ton truck isn’t going to deliver 18 tons of food to 100 people (while the 1 ton truck might do so), it will deliver 18 tons of food to 1800 people.

>> A scarce public resource cannot be carelessly doled out irresponsibly for monetary gains of a privileged few. Sorry.

Nor should a scarce public resource be held on a shelf where it cannot be used by the public. That is what this policy intends to do and that is why I oppose it.