[rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 9 20:55:31 UTC 2018

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 03:25 , John Ngwoke <john.ngwoke at unn.edu.ng> wrote:
>
> Hi Fiona,
>
> Thanks for your opinion. My personal opinion against some of points you raised below;
>

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Fiona Asonga <tespok at tespok.co.ke <mailto:tespok at tespok.co.ke>> wrote:
> Hallo All
>
> It would be good if the authors can respond to Frank's query below. Their answer will significantly help bring clarity to the issue they are trying to resolve.
>
> I agree with you for the benefit of clarity especially for those who do not have full understanding of the purpose and aim of this proposal.
>

> If it is an issue of denying entities that can justify for additional resource the ability to access the resource with a time cap then there is reason for concern from anyone who has potential of absorbing and justifying for additional resource.
>
> IMHO I see this proposal as one will challenge the organizations into the deployment to IPv6 around Africa.
>
> The Bis proposal as a results puts AFRINIC in a precarious legal position in so far as AFRINIC's mandate of allocating resources is concerned. When we put AFRINIC in that position we are also giving up our community right to develop our allocation policies and are giving that power to legal systems to ensure fairness of our policy. While we should encourage IPV6 deployment we should facilitate for everyone who requires IPV4 resources to get them whether they are big or small. Remember the so called big LIR tend to operate in more than one country and may need more IPV4 for the less developed regions of this continent and these are many.
>
> I know big organization like MTN with branches in Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, Sudan, etc are seen as different entities in each of the country they are operating, and if this is the case, there should be no fear of limiting them as operate in more than one country.

First, not all companies are organized this way, so it is possible for this to remain a problem.

Second, do you believe it is impossible to need more than a /18 to serve a single country? This would imply that such a country has fewer than 16,384 households that don’t currently have internet access from the company in question. I find that very hard to believe. Or is it that you think an ISP only needs to roll out service to 16,384 new customers per 24 months (that’s a customer acquisition rate of just under 683 per month.

That’s fine for a small-ish provider, in fact it might even be a pretty good month for a mom and pop ISP serving a small community, but for a major provider dropping in FTTH or CMTS infrastructure to even a medium-sized city, I’d say that’s pretty untenable.

Owen