[rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

Lee Howard Lee.Howard at retevia.net
Thu Jan 4 17:29:41 UTC 2018

From:  Dabu Sifiso <dabu.sifiso at yandex.com>
Date:  Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM
To:  Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com>, rpd <rpd at afrinic.net>
Subject:  Re: [rpd] Appeal against softlanding-bis declaration of consensus

> 04.01.2018, 08:00, "Ornella GANKPA" <honest1989 at gmail.com>:
> How?
> It encourages CGNAT and IPv4 transfer by not giving AFRINIC IPv4 that is
> needed to those who need it.
>> Why would anyone disagree with that?
>

> People did, we didn't listen and believed those saying they were acting for
> the good of Africa, we were duped.
>
>> Is IPv6 not the common sense optionfor any growth plan?
>

> It stopped being a realistic alternative in 1999, turned into a running gag by
> 2009, and will only be revived once there is no IPv4 to distribute, could it
> be happening in 2019, or do we have to wait until 2029!

What do you mean?
IPv6 works fine, even great, for mobile providers. 85% of Reliance/Jio users
in India, 80% of Verizon Wireless users in the U.S., and 87% of T-Mobile
users in the US, use IPv6. http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/
I think all of them are using NAT64 and 464xlat to get to IPv4.

IPv6 is great for fixed line connectivity, too, with tens (maybe hundreds)
of millions of people having IPv6 access. Most of them are still dual-stack,
but some use IPv6 plus a transition mechanism. I’m happy to help with that.

My experience and observation are that it takes 2-5 years for an ISP to
deploy IPv6. Separate projects are: backbone routing, peering, data center
routing, firewalls, updating provisioning and management (OSS) systems, edge
devices (CMTS, BRAS, ONU), and CPE. For me, updating systems took years.
Updating CPE may take the longest for others: you might start delivering
IPv6 capable CPE to customers in a month, but it’s unlikely your current CPE
supports the transition mechanism you want to use.

More than 21% of the world uses IPv6.  It’s not a joke. The questions we are
each asking ourselves are:
1. How long will it take us to deploy IPv6?
2. Do we have enough IPv4 addresses to last that long?
I think many of the differences of opinion on the soft landing revision were
between people who had different answers to those questions. If someone
answers “No” to #2, their options are:
* Try to buy addresses (once the IPv4 Resources transfer policy is
implemented, if they haven’t received addresses in a year, and if they can
find someone selling exactly their 12 month need)
* Use CGN/NAT44, if they can deploy it in time (again: routing, OSS, etc.)
* Stop growing.
Are there other options?

Lee Howard