[rpd] The need to review the existing soft landing policy (was Re: Two more petitioners)

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Dec 28 09:56:17 UTC 2017

On 19 Dec 2017 23:44, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

Now, AfriNIC, the only RIR to still have anything left after all of the
other RIRs are either out or well into their final austerity policies is
discussing further distorting this timeline in the AfriNIC region.

I read "left after all of the other RIRs"

AFRINIC is not the other RIR's, and we are not discussing a global policy.
I believe its within her right for the AFRINIC PDPWG members from all walks
of life to discuss how best they want their number resources managed
regardless of what the RIPE, ARIN, APNIC etc do with their resources.

Such a distortion remains a disservice to the global internet community as
well as a disservice to the African internet community as well.

A disservice to the global internet community how????

The fact is that the SL-BIS policy proposal in sections sections 5.4.3.1
and 5.4.3.2  stipulates how section 3.4.(i) of the AFRINIC's bylaws could
still be achieved for the best interest of the AFRINIC service region and
her mandate as a central registry for AFRICA.

In fact I would say that, since 2004, the AFRINIC region has been of great
service to the African and global Internet community and will continue to
be.

Your idea of “fair distribution” involves depriving service providers
trying to connect real users today in favor of making sure that possible
future service providers which don’t yet exist and may well never exist can
get some amount of space to connect a very limited number of real users
each at some point in some imagined future.

Nothing in the SL-BIS ver.7 policy proposal talks about favoring some
future service providers which dont exist.  I would be happy for you to
show me that specific section.

The fact is that the SL-BIS proposal as it stands in version 7 does not
stop live and operating ISP's/Resource members of AFRINIC from obtaining
additional IPv4 resources.  The guidelines for the distribution of the
scarce /8 are pretty straight and I will refer you back to SL-BIS version 7
sections sections *5.4.3.1 *and *5.4.3.2*  and finally section *5.4.7* IPv6
deployment reserve. .

Cheers
Noah