[rpd] The need to review the existing soft landing policy (was Re: Two more petitioners)

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Tue Dec 19 20:06:12 UTC 2017

Hi Omo,

To be clear: I'm not trying to compare soft landing between regions. There are indeed many many differences.

Let me skip to one point you raise:

> Even now, the objections do not reflect the majority view

Majority views don't matter in consensus based process. Take for example https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2008-08. There was a lot of support, but at the end of the PDP an objection was raised, and that blocked the consensus.

Anyway, I'm just trying to look at how consensus works. I realise our regions are immensely different. We do use the same concept of consensus though.

Cheers,
Sander