[rpd] An review of consensus process.

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Dec 5 16:26:13 UTC 2017

Two things spring out at me from this email - firstly:

nor do we want decisions to be made in a vacuum without practical experience.

I would say that the majority of opponents of this policy that I have seen are people who are actively running ISPs and the petitioners against it are executives with real practical experience. The proponents on the other hand are largely not involved in the business side of real networks - hence - lack the experience.  This is not an insult to anyone - we each have our areas - but in this case - the ISPs are saying no - maybe we should listen.

The second thing is in the IETF they talk about running code - I would argue that the analogy here is real networks - with real reliance on the addresses.  The opponents of this policy without exception are running real networks - with real users - and real clients - it is not theory. They are almost all also invested in those networks in some form or another - so they have an intricate understanding of the harm this policy would do.

Do not get me wrong and twist my words - I believe that every single person should have a say - and I believe that consensus should rule the day - I do not however believe that there can be consensus with such different ideological viewpoints as driven by different perspectives that stem from different experience and different working backgrounds.

Consensus was never there - and will never be there on this issue - because the ideology is simply to far apart.  I really hope that the co chairs are prepared to do what is right - acknowledge that to err is human - and withdraw the decision to put this into last call - because any other decision is an appeal - irrespective of if this is declared lacking consensus in last call or not - that does not render the appeal moot - and do we really need to go on record as the RIR that has PDP decisions overturned on appeal because we can’t understand consensus?

Andrew