[rpd] FW: Opposition to the changes in the AfriNIC Soft Landing Policy

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:31:23 UTC 2017

Hi Ismail

> On 4 Dec 2017, at 17:16, Ismail Settenda <ismail at tispa.or.tz> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Well lets not confuse silence with agreement and seeing the unpleasant sentiments...one cant really blame some for keeping quiet.
>
> I for one will support the policy because there is no such policy to deal with such a scenario in the first place

I have no problem with your views, but I think you may be confused.

There IS a policy in place: https://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/697-ipv4-soft-landing-policy <https://www.afrinic.net/library/policies/697-ipv4-soft-landing-policy>

This is a suggestion to amend the existing soft landing policy and making it more restrictive.

I have a few issues with the existing policy, but I think it is a reasonable compromise in the circumstances.

My objection is to adding further restrictions, as is proposed in the -bis proposal.

> and the longer we stay without one the more vulnerable we become.

Actually we have one in place, so I am not sure I understand your point.

> So I like to think I see the logic in the arguments for the proposal however there is s greater danger in having NO measure or policy in place rather than have a perfect one in place when it is too late.

Well this is actually what is being discussed here: we have a measure and policy in place right now. This is a proposal to refine it further. I have yet to see a justification I can accept for the need for such further refinement.

Unless I have missed your comment completely, in which case I apologise.

Mike