[rpd] SL-BIS (Was Re: Appeal Committee Terms of Reference (Version 1))

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:25:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> -  While the google global stats sound encouraging, the growth is not
>> uniform across regions and countries. The per  region and country
>> distribution is more revealing.
>>
>> https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption
>>
>> - Even if IPv4 becomes minority in 3 years, it will still  be in the game
>> and may still be  majority in some regions  including ours.
>
> This is one of my greatest fears for the African continent… That this will,
> indeed, be the case, once again isolating the African continent from the
> world community as the world moves on and abandons IPv4 while Africa remains
> entirely dependent on this beleaguered aged protocol that should have been
> put out to pasture more than a decade ago.
>
> This is the best argument I can imagine anyone making against SL-BIS… It’s
> ability to continue to encourage the status quo in Africa and further extend
> the duration of the pain that is IPv4.

Don't fear for us Owen.

>From the look of things, not only Africa but other regions as well
will still be "entirely dependent on this beleaguered aged protocol
that should have been put out to pasture more than a decade ago"
(quoting your own words).

Africa will therefore not be isolated. Everyone else is still
dependent on IPv4 and is still pushing for it to last much longer.

[][]