[rpd] Appeal Committee Terms of Reference (Version 1)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 9 20:38:12 UTC 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:58 , Boubakar Barry <boubakarbarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
> Again, I believe that the intent here is similar to the intent with seats 3 and 4. I consider this an entirely reasonable approach to maintaining the independence of the appeals committee and applaud the board’s wisdom and foresight in this matter.
>
> Are you suggesting this community doesn't have enough respectable and respected people with known integrity to fill all seats and that AfriNIC has to recourse to other RIRs for this?

It isn’t a question of quantity or even quality, but largely of perception.

The reality is that factionalism in this community has grown so strong that any body made up entirely of members of this community or even mostly constituted from members of this community will not be perceived by the losing faction as independent or impartial.

> I hope not.

Not at all. However, there is reality and then there is perception. In this case, perception is as important as reality and IMHO, the appeals committee must be perceived as impartial and independent. No body made up from this community will be perceived that way by both sides.

Owen