[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 31 06:40:57 UTC 2017

On 31/Jul/17 05:41, Andrew Alston wrote:

> As I have stated time and again with this policy – and it is a point
> that has **NEVER** been addressed by the authors of this policy – we
> have to make a decision – are we in this for the consumer on the
> ground – who needs the space today – or are we in this to protect the
> interests of ISP’s who either do not yet exist, or who have not been
> able to create sufficient infrastructure to utilize the space today.
> I argue that AFRINIC is meant, under its mandate, to promote the
> penetration of Internet in Africa – and this policy runs in direct
> contravention of said mandate – since it slows down that development
> and will ultimately lead to additional costs that have to be born by
> the consumer on the ground.

Ultimately, I (and several others, I'm sure) are all for improving the
Internet situation for the end user, be they my customer or someone else's.

Despite our attempts at extending its longevity, IPv4 will run out,
eventually. As operators, we need to balance the immediate need of
solving our IPv4 requirements with preparations for an IPv6 Internet.
AFRINIC's role in that balancing act is to pass a "Soft Landing" policy
proposal that effectively promotes such an agenda.

Mark.